This recipe came from my mother, but reminds me of Spanakopita, a dish I ate in Greece. It can be frozen for up to 1 month.
This serves about 8 people and is a great way to use up all your silverbeet. Instead of frozen spinach, use any and all leafy greens that you have growing in the garden.
500 g frozen spinach, thawed and drained
125 g feta cheese, crumbled
125 g ricotta cheese
15 g butter
1 onion, finely chopped or grated
1 tablespoon fresh mint, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
4 sheets puff pastry
1 dash milk
1. Combine the spinach, feta, egg, and ricotta in a bowl.
2. Melt the butter in a pan, add onion, and saute until soft.
3. Stir into mix, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Make into a pie- i.e. place one sheet of pastry on the bottom of a pie pan, put the filling in, and cover it with another sheet of pastry, pushing down the edges with a little water.
5. Brush the pie with milk.
6. Bake at 200 degrees celcius for 25 to 30 minutes.